Troy Bayliss did it again! The 49-year-old legend almost won the first of the three ASBK races at The Bend Motorsport on his Ducati Panigale 1199 and finally he ranked 2nd behind the winner Wayne Maxwell. The three times World Superbike Champion Mondo had already got this result at the opening round, which took place at Phillip Island last February. Here below you can watch the highlights of the race.
The race was stopped after just one lap due to an accident involving some riders (all uninjured) and then it restarted on the distance of 9 laps instead of 10. Bayliss led the race for some laps, but finally he was joined and overtaken by Maxwell and so he had to content with a 2nd-place finish, with one second off the Yamhaa rider. Troy Herfoss (Honda) finished third. “It was a nice race. Recently I’ve started training even harder than before and so I knew I had a good physical and technical potential” said Troy Bayliss. “On Sunday we have two more races and my goal is to win!”
In the championship standings Bayliss is fourth with 102 points behind the leader Troy Herfoss (123), Maxwell (114) and the reigning champion Josh Waters (111).
RACE 1 RESULTS
1. Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha) 17’09″670
2. Troy Bayliss (Ducati) +1″103
3. Troy Herfoss (Honda) +4″887
4. Daniel Falzon (Yamaha) +5″504
5. Josh Waters (Suzuki) +6″704
6. Arthur Sissis (Suzuki) +12″808
7. Alex Phillis (Suzuki) +14″868
8. Glenn Allerton (BMW) +15″789
9. Jamie Stauffer (Ducati) +20″203
10. Matt Walters (Kawasaki) +21″501